Message from Head of School
Posted on: Mar 11, 2020
March 11, 2020
Dear Holland Hall Families,
Thank you for your patience and understanding. We know today was a major disruption, and we deeply appreciate your flexibility around the concerns that came to our attention and the decision to close school and begin spring break early.
Very soon after receiving information about the possibility of students having quaternary or tertiary contact with the family of COVID-19 patient number two, we pulled together our crisis response team and made the decision to close school early for spring break. As the earlier letter stated, this decision was made from a place of immense precaution.
After a conversation with the director of the Tulsa Health Department, we were advised that the risk to our community was low. They supported our precautionary measure of closing campus but assured us there was no need to self-quarantine.
We’ve received a number of requests for more specific information. If the Tulsa Health Department recommended or thought it would be beneficial that we share additional information with respect to possible grade levels or school branches, we absolutely would do that. However, this situation did not lend itself to that level of specificity, nor did the THD make that recommendation.
Here is what we know right now:
- We will monitor the situation carefully, but for now the plan is to resume classes on campus on Monday, March 23, after Spring Break.
- We sent home iPads with our 4th- and 5th-graders today in the event we need to implement our remote learning plan. We need parents to complete a quick survey that will help us allocate technology resources should remote learning become a necessity. Please take the survey here.
- We ask that all families have a conversation over Spring Break about how you would make remote learning work in your home. We will send out more information over Spring Break if that looks like an eventuality. Expect a letter from us on Thursday and further communication on Sunday.
- If you haven’t filled out the survey about your travel plans over Spring Break, please do that now. And if you are going out of town on Spring Break, we ask that you be aware of changing conditions in the areas you’re traveling to. Any region you visit may be designated by the CDC as a level 3 (high-risk) country even after you arrive, subjecting you to sudden travel restrictions. We ask that you check the CDC website for information and to follow health guidelines. Please notify the nurses if you’ve been to a country or region affected, and we will ask that you quarantine yourself for 14 days before returning to campus.
- Be assured each building will be cleaned, sanitized and disinfected over the course of this week and Spring Break.
- All extracurricular activities Thursday, Friday and into Spring Break have been given the go-ahead with our regular precautions in place. This, of course, could change pending any additional information unrelated to today.
Please check the website, www.hollandhall.org/covid-19, and your emails for information as it becomes available.
Head of School