March 28 – April 3 (All School)
Posted on: Mar 27, 2020
Please remember to give yourself and your sons and daughters a lot of grace. — Holland Hall counselors Ryan Myers and Cassie Gray
What a week it has been, Dutch. The first week of remote learning is in the books, and although we don’t have a lot of events to promote, we wanted to stay in touch and send out a combined Dutch Weekly with announcements, kudos and more.
First off, the announcements:
The 2020 Holland Haul
Formerly known as the Online Auction, items such as Upper School reserved student-parking spots, naming the Middle School Drive, and reserved commencement seats are available for a “buy-it-now” price by clicking on the link below. Sales close on May 15. This is the last big fundraiser of the year, so if you’re thinking about ways to help the school, please take a look and see if there is something your family would enjoy.
Please congratulate our Cum Laude Society members
We weren’t able to celebrate with our most recent inductees into the Cum Laude Society this week, but please help us congratulate them for their efforts.
From the Class of 2020: Julian Shayan Abhari, Jonathan Michael Atkinson, Olivia Marie Butkin, Elisabeth Roe Goldberg, Hannah Grace Johnson, Abie Jo Koch, Sunwoo Oh, Johnathan Ryan Rule, Tyler Tan
From the Class of 2021: Avery Renae Cardinal, Wallace Ramsey Clark, Ruston Cole Farrington, Michael Tally Ferguson, Molly Mei Gilmartin, Ayden Phillip Korn, Nayna Nambiar, Shane Douglas Redmond
Current members: Marta Almazovaite, Elle Arens, Annalise Karolitzky, Becca Levit, Will Martucci, Michael Miller, Mac Sanders, Regina Scott
Founders Guild Canceled
Following the current recommendations for all large gatherings, unfortunately, our Founders Guild event has been canceled. We are so grateful to our Founders Guild members and their generous support of Holland Hall.
From the Upper School …
If any students have announcements for morning meeting, they can e-mail them to Michael Berglund and Whitney Udwin.
And from Ms. Fondren-Bales: “We are making every effort to still have Dutch Weekend for our US students. We don’t know whether it will be on April 25 (when it was originally scheduled) or another, later date, but we very much hope to still be able to have it! Stay tuned for more details!”
From the Middle School …
Ms. White sent students a survey about remote learning. If you haven’t taken it yet, find it here: https://forms.gle/z3qkVHKLHzueeeuYA.
And a reminder that PowerSchool Learning is slow — so, so slow. Ms. White wants to make sure everyone knows adjustments will be made to due dates, workloads, etc., as we wade through this!
From the Primary School …
Great Family Conversation Starters (Part XI)
While families are together, think about asking your kids these questions and have them ask you!
1) What is your favorite room at home and why?
2) Could you invent a new game using your backyard, or the park? Explain it.
Discover the Digging Books! series
If you haven’t checked into this video series, yet, now is the time! There are currently 14 episodes available on the Holland Hall website, with funny characters reading stories to our children. Click here to get started. See if you can recognize the faculty members, playing their roles.
Some advice or reflections from your Holland Hall team this week …
- I’m learning to give myself grace in all aspects. — Stephanie McCrary, MS physical education teacher
- Learning doesn’t just happen inside of a classroom, but learning happens all around us. Make sure you take the time to go outside, exercise, explore, or try something new. Go Dutch! — Paula Jackson, 3rd Grade
- If you are unable to get onto PSL, walk away from your computer. Go outside, play with the dog, shoot some hoops, etc. Hang in there, Dutch! We got this. — Ms. Fondren-Bales, Head of Upper School
- I’m actually making the Friday art project for the Middle School to create a hopeful rainbow for our neighbors. Tag the school and use #onedutch and #dutchrainbows so we can see them all. I really love the idea of spreading some joy with a Dutch leaning to it. LET’S ALL DO THIS, DUTCH! — Ms. O’Connor, MS art teacher
- Reminder – keep food and drink away from your devices, particularly your keyboards. — Henry Finch, Director of Technology
- I want to make sure all of my parents and each child knows what a great job they have done during this transition. This is a monumental task for some families, especially the ones that have multiple children in multiple grades. — Stephany Ward, Kindergarten
- Let’s all spend the next week or so posting pics of our sport, our friends and the HH community to support one another. Right now is our chance to showcase how great it is to be DUTCH! — Steve Heldebrand, Director of Athletics
- For the boys’ basketball state championship that was to be ours: Well done boys, and well done Coach Owens! — JP Culley, Head of School
- Whatever you are struggling with, I recognize and am aware that there are struggles. Take care of yourself first so that you can take care of others. — Christy Zahn, Director of Advancement
The moments to cherish …
- One of my students, Red Ratcliff, hugged his mom’s phone to send me a hug. Cue the waterworks!” — Stephany Ward, Kindergarten
- I asked one of my Moms if she wants to be a teacher. Her response: All I have to say to you is that I owe you EVERYTHING. — Susan Connor, First Grade